The official manual transmission swap

Posted by: 2004_p71

The official manual transmission swap - 05/01/09 11:10 PM

Ever since i did the swap almost a year ago i got tons of email here and on youtube regarding this swap.I have been a bit lazy writing this write-up and it's a bit more difficult for me since i'm french speaking and i hope you wont count my typing mistake but here it is finaly lol.

The official manual transmission swap - 05/01/09 11:20 PM

Introduction

Few years ago i had the opportunity to drive and later own black&flames's 89 manual box.I still can remember the thrill of driving that car and how excited i was to drop the clutch for the first time.

Years has passed and i finaly got back that little thrill that i missed so much by doing the swap to my daily driver 04crown vic.
It sure bring it's part of challenge but it really worth each and every hour and money put in that project.

Finaly i would like to thank Jeremy (black&flames) for giving me such oportunities and all of you who have done this swap and have been very generous with your info and time quickcrownvic-quickvic30-Funkrider-Metroplex-drock96marquis

Thank you

This write-up is not an exact procedure on how to do it but should be used as a guide.I do not want to be held responsiblefor any missunderstood or mistake during the swap.
This swap should be done by an experienced mechanic with an appropriate facility.

Transmission

I have used a tremec tr-3650 transmission found in any 01/04 mustang.This transmission will handle better the hp/tq than the t-5 or t-45 found in older model but has it's own problem too.
The second gear syncro is prone to be diffucult to engage when the temperature is cold outside.Ford has made an updated part to resolve that problem and most 04 tremec should not have that problem.That transmission is rated at 360lb/tq and should be fine in most application but if you need something above that i would recomended an up-dated version who can support up to 495lb/tq (see my links at the end)

Clutch/ flywhell

For the clutch/pressure plate i went with centerforce.It is a 10 spline unit who was made for the mustang cobra.It require a bit more effort to depress the clutch but it really hold the power.
The unit is quite pricey but you cant really so shop wisely.

The flywhell is a 6 holes billet stell 1:1 ASI approved.
I have been recomemded to NOT use a billet aluminum for this application.

Clutch pedal assembly.

I went with the 01/04 mustang brake clutch pedal assembly as a starting point.The mustang cable clutch assembly cannot be used on the crown vic as is so it had to be modified to fit my existing brake pedal.

You will need to grind off the clutch pedal shaft off the mustang assembly to later weld it to the crown vic assembly.
Pay attention to the cleareance with the pcm when you will weld the shaft. Mine has abouth 1/4 inche in betewen.

The clutch pedal itself has to be modified.
You have to drill a hole approximatly one inch lower that the original position and make it square with a file.
Do not mess up with that step as is the square hole is too large the pedal will spin on the shaft.

This will make the pedal still sit lower that the two other pedal but since the fuse box is right up there you dont really have the choice. It may look weird but the feeling when you press the clutch isn't.

Since i welded the clutch shaft there is no more space for the brake light switch who was originaly mounted below the abs switch so you will have to mount your own on/off switch ditectly below the shaft or at any other convinient place.

The electric harness for the automatic is obviously no longer needed. The only wire who should remain from this harness are the one for the oxygene and vss sensors.You wil have to run 2 extra wire for the reverse light.

A pcm reprogramation (aka a tune)is mandatory for this swap.
I highly recomemded lonnie at blue oval chip. he is specialized in umique swap. (see links at the end)

Crossmember

The crossmember on any 03+ model has to be modified in order to clear the taill of the transmission.The top has to be cut as well as the front of it.
Even the lip at the bottom end of the transmission needs to be remoove
This step is quite time consuming since you will have to make sure there is absolutly no contact in betewen the two parts.
A gap of 1/4 betewen the crossmember and transmission is required since everything will move during driving condition.

Drive shaft

You need to change the 36 spline yoke for a 28 sline yoke.

A 5/8 lenght drive shaft spacer must be used since the new transmision is shorter than the 4r70w/4r75w.
Most aftermarket compagnies makes them for the mustang but be aware that they used smaller pinion flange so it will not fit the crown vic's one.
It's either you get one custom made at the local machine shop or you swap the pinion flange and joint for the mustang one.

Shifter

A rectangle of 3 by 5 inches has to be cut approximatly 3 inches from the abs module for the shifter location.
You will also have to trim a bit of the reinforcement underneath the tunel at the bottom of the rectangle to again clear the transmission.

I have used a hurst short throw shifter.The base is for obviously the tremec but the shifter itself is for the older style of mustang (the fox years).
It is close from the dash but there is plenty of space for your hand.

parts list

Tremec tr-3650 01/04 mustang
center force clutch/pressure plate
Flywheel 6 bolts
Flywheel bolts F6ZZ6379AA
clutch lever XR3Z7515AA
clutch cable XR3Z7535CA
Clutch bearing F7ZZ7548AA
pilot bearing F6ZZ7600A
Dust shield F6ZZ7513AA
Yoke 28 spline E9TZ4841A

I will up-date this write with your comments and help in order to make it as complete as possible.

If you need more info or have any question i will be glad to answer them all.
you can pm me or write me at p71c1@yahoo.ca

Good luck with this swap.

heres some video of the final results enjoy ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgNDNamCMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUqY8iAzhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKg-jcTZS4

Posted by: Spartan

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/01/09 11:57 PM

Is there a way to include how you wired the trans in and also the clutch position sensor for the pedal assembly so that it starts like a true manual car? That would be super helpful.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/02/09 12:10 AM

there is nothing to be wired except the two wire fot the back uo light.
there is no clutch position sensor so yes the car can start even if the clutch is not depress..it,s just a matter of habit lol
i'm updating abouth every 15 min the page so stay tuned
Posted by: hotrodjcc

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 11:47 AM

Nice write up

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 12:51 PM

thank you very much
Posted by: BigJon

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 02:32 PM

excellent writeup. i cannot wait to see your car at stap.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BigJon
excellent writeup. i cannot wait to see your car at stap.

Thanks
I cant wait to be at stap too
it will be great to see everyone there
Posted by: GSDNH

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 04:30 PM

Awesome.
Posted by: Darkmerc

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 04:42 PM

Nice write up, good work man.
Posted by: RiceBurnt6

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 05:31 PM

I'm so jealous! Good write up.
Posted by: 93victurbo

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/03/09 08:38 PM

did you have any trouble with the brake lights? i have a 93 that i out a t-45 5 speed in and my brake lights worked but when we wired up a switch for the started, now my brake lights dont work. is it a wire on the tranny that is tied into that also because i dont have anything hooked up to the tranny and i have power to the brake light switch? pm me and let me know
Posted by: BigNSlow

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/04/09 07:23 PM

Nice writeup. Add this to the BOK perhaps?
Posted by: Georges93LX

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/04/09 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: 2004_p71
Introduction

Few years ago i had the opportunity to drive and later own black&flames's 89 manual box.I still can remember the thrill of driving that car and how excited i was to drop the clutch for the first time.

Years has passed and i finaly got back that little thrill that i missed so much by doing the swap to my daily driver 04crown vic.
It sure bring it's part of challenge but it really worth each and every hour and money put in that project.

Finaly i would like to thank Jeremy (black&flames) for giving me such oportunities and all of you who have done this swap and have been very generous with your info and time quickcrownvic-quickvic30-Funkrider-Metroplex-drock96marquis

Thank you

The bold font applies to my 1993 Crown Victoria LX

This write-up is not an exact procedure on how to do it but should be used as a guide.I do not want to be held responsiblefor any missunderstood or mistake during the swap.
This swap should be done by an experienced mechanic with an appropriate facility.

Transmission

I have used a tremec tr-3650 transmission found in any 01/04 mustang.This transmission will handle better the hp/tq than the t-5 or t-45 found in older model but has it's own problem too.
The second gear syncro is prone to be diffucult to engage when the temperature is cold outside.Ford has made an updated part to resolve that problem and most 04 tremec should not have that problem.That transmission is rated at 360lb/tq and should be fine in most application but if you need something above that i would recomended an up-dated version who can support up to 495lb/tq (see my links at the end)

I used a T45 from a 1996 Mustang.Borg Warner T-45 – 5 speed manual transmission has an aluminum alloy gear case, tail housing and bell housing.

The T45 is used only behind the 4.6L Mustangs from 1996 to 1999. Tremec replaced the T-45 with the Tremec 3650 in 2000. It has single rail gear selector and carbon lined steel synchronizer rings.

The T-45 installed in the 1996-1998 GT Mustangs is different than the Cobra Mustangs. The transmission mount position and speedo gear are the main differences.

The Mustang Cobra T-45 has a 7 tooth speedo gear.
The Mustang GT T45 has an 8 tooth speedo gear

In 1999 all T-45's were changed to the Cobra specs.

The T45 case casting number is “1381”

Standard gear ratios on the Borg Warner T45 and Tremec T45:

1st Gear: 3.37
2nd Gear: 1.99
3rd Gear: 1.33
4th Gear: 1.00
5th Gear: 0.67
Rev Gear: 3.22

The Mustang T45 has an input torque rating of 325 ft-lb

Clutch/ flywhell

For the clutch/pressure plate i went with centerforce.It is a 10 spline unit who was made for the mustang cobra.It require a bit more effort to depress the clutch but it really hold the power.
The unit is quite pricey but you cant really so shop wisely.

The flywhell is a 6 holes billet stell 1:1 ASI approved.
I have been recomemded to NOT use a billet aluminum for this application.

I started to go witha King Cobra clutch but found a sweet deal on a new take-out. The flywheel was nodular iron witha stock factory clutch.

Clutch pedal assembly.

I went with the 01/04 mustang brake clutch pedal assembly as a starting point.The mustang cable clutch assembly cannot be used on the crown vic as is so it had to be modified to fit my existing brake pedal.

I tried using the Mustang pedal assembly with the backplate from the Crown Vic welded onto it. Too much time and energy wasted try to get everthing to line up.

You will need to grind off the clutch pedal shaft off the mustang assembly to later weld it to the crown vic assembly.
Pay attention to the cleareance with the pcm when you will weld the shaft. Mine has abouth 1/4 inche in betewen.

This is the same thing I did.

The clutch pedal itself has to be modified.
You have to drill a hole approximatly one inch lower that the original position and make it square with a file.
Do not mess up with that step as is the square hole is too large the pedal will spin on the shaft.

I did NOT do this.

This will make the pedal still sit lower that the two other pedal but since the fuse box is right up there you dont really have the choice. It may look weird but the feeling when you press the clutch isn't.

Since i welded the clutch shaft there is no more space for the brake light switch who was originaly mounted below the abs switch so you will have to mount your own on/off switch ditectly below the shaft or at any other convinient place.

I cut and welded the brake and clutch pedal to sit where I wanted it. Some people will not cut these and no shop will do it either because of liability issuses.

The electric harness for the automatic is obviously no longer needed. The only wire who should remain from this harness are the one for the oxygene and vss sensors.You wil have to run 2 extra wire for the reverse light.

A pcm reprogramation (aka a tune)is mandatory for this swap.
I highly recomemded lonnie at blue oval chip. he is specialized in umique swap. (see links at the end)

I have the OBD1 system and did NOT need a reprogramming.

Crossmember

The crossmember on any 03+ model has to be modified in order to clear the taill of the transmission.The top has to be cut as well as the front of it.
Even the lip at the bottom end of the transmission needs to be remoove
This step is quite time consuming since you will have to make sure there is absolutly no contact in betewen the two parts.
A gap of 1/4 betewen the crossmember and transmission is required since everything will move during driving condition.

I did not have to do any of this.

Drive shaft

You need to change the 36 spline yoke for a 28 sline yoke.

A 5/8 lenght drive shaft spacer must be used since the new transmision is shorter than the 4r70w/4r75w.
Most aftermarket compagnies makes them for the mustang but be aware that they used smaller pinion flange so it will not fit the crown vic's one.
It's either you get one custom made at the local machine shop or you swap the pinion flange and joint for the mustang one.

If you have an LX model you will not need the spacer.

Shifter

A rectangle of 3 by 5 inches has to be cut approximatly 3 inches from the abs module for the shifter location.
You will also have to trim a bit of the reinforcement underneath the tunel at the bottom of the rectangle to again clear the transmission.

I have used a hurst short throw shifter.The base is for obviously the tremec but the shifter itself is for the older style of mustang (the fox years).
It is close from the dash but there is plenty of space for your hand.

I used a stock shifter for a short period but found a Hurst stick that I liked. I swapped stick and now have more room.

parts list

Tremec tr-3650 01/04 mustang
center force clutch/pressure plate
Flywheel 6 bolts
Flywheel bolts F6ZZ6379AA
clutch lever XR3Z7515AA
clutch cable XR3Z7535CA
Clutch bearing F7ZZ7548AA
pilot bearing F6ZZ7600A
Dust shield F6ZZ7513AA
Yoke 28 spline E9TZ4841A

I will up-date this write with your comments and help in order to make it as complete as possible.

If you need more info or have any question i will be glad to answer them all.
you can pm me or write me at p71c1@yahoo.ca

Good luck with this swap.
All the guys mentioned were my inspiration to get this done and I have had more fun, positive comments and questions than you can imagine.

heres some video of the final results enjoy ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PgNDNamCMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUqY8iAzhs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKg-jcTZS4

Posted by: JaxRhapsody

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/06/09 08:49 AM

Wiring up a NSS shouldnt be that hard. I like this, a good basis for me, whenever I can get one.
Posted by: tumbler33

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/10/09 06:51 PM

im 14 so go easy on me but would that tranny work ok with a 5.4

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/11/09 04:07 AM

no and this is why i'm changing mine for an up-dated version of the tr3650.
the 5.4 offer 365lb_tq and the transmission can only support 360 lb/tq.

welcome to cvn

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/11/09 05:41 PM

Thanks, will you get the tranny from ebay,retailer, or a salvage yard.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/12/09 04:05 AM

you can get some rebuilt unit off ebay for around 800$ or some beefy unit as i bought for 1400$ and the are good for up to 495lbtq 500hp

i bought mine from manstrans or something like that ...there are few seller on ebay who sell these.
Just make sure they are the up dated version with the second gear syncro fixed as should be any o4 transmission
Posted by: CVPI_GT

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/12/09 05:14 PM

did you use the same drive shaft

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/09 04:19 AM

yes but in my case as p71's drive shaft are shorter i got a spacer made for my car
Posted by: 2003SikVicP71

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/09 09:58 PM

what are the dimensions on that spacer for the drive shaft ? would a civilian drive shaft work ?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/14/09 04:13 AM

a civilian drive shaft is longer so yes it would fit.
5/8 spacer makes the job

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/14/09 06:13 PM

would it be that much harder to do a 5 speed swap on a lx sport with a console?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/15/09 09:36 AM

i cant tell hte fitment with the console sorry but i dont think it will be that hard fix
Posted by: FunkRider

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/25/09 03:19 PM

Thanks, I took all my 5spd videos down from youtube. I grew very tired of people asking me 15 times a week how to do this swap and how much it cost etc.

It would be very easy to rig up a clutch safety switch using the park/neutral pins in the gear range selector wiring. To get it to start you just jump the two pins that the range selector joins in P or N.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/26/09 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tumbler33
would it be that much harder to do a 5 speed swap on a lx sport with a console?

There's a Marauder in Nova Scotia with a 6-speed using the stock center console.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/27/09 01:42 PM

wow i'd like to see that
Posted by: Bondfreak13

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/27/09 05:17 PM

So would I, I was going to use a LX sport console or a MM one.
I maybe be hot rodding this car but I want that OEM look. Keeps my Sleeper thing going.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/27/09 10:56 PM

wow i'd like to see that

Next best thing to being there.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52300&highlight=6-speed
Posted by: BennyB747

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 11:53 AM

Will a T45 out of a 99 Cobra mount up to the 2000 CVPIs cross member? Also will the speed sensor work?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 12:00 PM

You need a 96-98 tailshaft housing from a GT. You will also need to elongate the bolt holes in the cross member mount area and the trans mount as well. An aftermarket trans mont will not work either you have to go factory and if the police models are different it needs to be the police mount. Just speaking from experience. The speed sensor should work.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Spartan
You need a 96-98 tailshaft housing from a GT.

Why do I need a different tail shaft housing? Aren't the 99 and up GT and Cobra trans the same ones?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 01:32 PM

there might be a different in lenght....i dont know i didnt have to deal with this issue

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: BennyB747
You need a 96-98 tailshaft housing from a GT.

Why do I need a different tail shaft housing? Aren't the 99 and up GT and Cobra trans the same ones?

Yes they are the same which is why you need a 96-98 GT housing. Those are the correct mount location. Cobra and 99+ GT are too far back. You can still get 96-98 tailhousings from the ford new.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 03:04 PM

If I swap the housing from an older GT won't that disable my speedometer? The older GT has a mechanical my car has an electrical speedometer.

Also why isn't this tail housing switch in dRock's write up, where he used a 2000 GT T45?

Also do I need to swap the tail housing if I stick in a TR3650?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 03:18 PM

Speedo gear locations are the same. If it has gears on the tailshaft you are OK. I didn't think panthers were electronic VSS until 2003? A T3650 is a different animal. It has no other tailshaft housing that I know of and you are stuck with the mount further back. I do not know why the housing swap is not mentined but it is accurate because I did it; from a 98 cobra to a 98 GT.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 03:52 PM

Speedo gear locations are the same. If it has gears on the tailshaft you are OK. I didn't think panthers were electronic VSS until 2003? A T3650 is a different animal. It has no other tailshaft housing that I know of and you are stuck with the mount further back. I do not know why the housing swap is not mentined but it is accurate because I did it; from a 98 cobra to a 98 GT.

There is no more vss sensor since the 03+ model and from what i can remember there is no location to put a vss sensor but since i didnt have to deal whith this issue i didnt really pay attention.
The tr-3650 do not offer other mount location as the tko 500 do.
It is a bit tricky with 03+ car since the crossmember is pressed fit in the crossmember pocked on the frame.It's a lot easier with 02- car since the crossmember is very easy to modify compare to the 03+
Posted by: AODE

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/29/09 09:46 PM

Ever since i did the swap almost a year ago

whats your next mod?

4.6 trickflow heads and intake, with cams

you see, you got the revs that combo loves , and im sure you'll love the power/ or maybe even boost

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/30/09 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: AODE

whats your next mod?

4.6 trickflow heads and intake, with cams

A 5.4 n/a for may/june (just in time for stap) and if the budget is good enought ported heads and cams from nickmickey.
as i alway say no replacement for displacement ;\)
Posted by: Markilla

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 09/30/09 02:16 PM

Your guys are going to dow the long haul down to st thomas next year, thats awesome i'll see you there.I may be doing the exact same swap as you with my 03.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/01/09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Markilla
Your guys are going to dow the long haul down to st thomas next year, thats awesome i'll see you there.I may be doing the exact same swap as you with my 03.

Of course i would not miss that even for anything... since it might be the last one .
if you need more info i'll be very happy to help you with your up-coming project

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/01/09 04:36 PM

Yeah i'll be sure to contact you if i need any help.
Posted by: brownpirocket

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 12:20 PM

That is an excellent writ up.
Just wondering what the cost and time was on your build?
I really want to do it to my 1999 vic.
But time and money is an issue. lol.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: brownpirocket
That is an excellent writ up.
Just wondering what the cost and time was on your build?
I really want to do it to my 1999 vic.
But time and money is an issue. lol.

Thanks for your nice comments.
I have put 3000$ on my project but you always can do it cheaper than that if you are not in a hurry and shop wisely.I did it in a month but it can be done in a week end if you have all the parts ready.

If time and money is an issue i would suggest you to wait till it's not an issue anymore.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 03:07 PM

Werent you there at st-thomas last year i tought i have seen your car overthere....

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 04:32 PM

Yeah i was there, i had the black marauder wheels.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 05:37 PM

did i raced agains you at the track?
Posted by: P71_Vic

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/04/09 11:48 PM

Omg, after watching those videos, I wanna do this swap SO freakin' bad. Wickedly cool bro!!!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/05/09 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: P71_Vic
Omg, after watching those videos, I wanna do this swap SO freakin' bad. Wickedly cool bro!!!

Thanks for the nice comments ;\)
Posted by: lucasrhode

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/12/09 07:17 PM

Hey there awesome write up lots of good info.

Im working on swaping a T-5 into my 93 CV P71. I was wondering if you might know what flywheel and clutch I will need to purchase or possibly where I could find this info. Also will the P71 drive shaft work with the t-5 or will I need the spacer?

Thanks,
Luke

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/12/09 10:29 PM

Yeah i raced you, good times.
Posted by: JeffBoudah

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/13/09 10:58 AM

A t-5 wont bolt to a modular... A t-45 will...

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/13/09 02:24 PM

Yeah i raced you, good times.

yeah and you were in low 2 if i remember correctly lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 10/13/09 09:37 PM

Yeah, not sure if i'm going to be doing the swap debating on buying a wrecked 04 gt i found, can't really aford it unless i find a buyer for the motor.
Posted by: 2003SikVicP71

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/25/10 11:00 PM

hi is there any way u can explain how u modified the cross member to get the trans to fit ? what exactly did you have to do and would u sell a modified peddal assembly or know someone who would be willing to make and sell one
Posted by: thejsx

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/26/10 05:55 PM

You'll have to trim a little bit of the cross member so the trans slips over it..! Don't worry about this issue, you'll understand while at it..! As for the pedals, ain't much difficult, you take your Crown vic brake pedal out of it. Then get yourself a mustang pedal kit, get the clutch pedal tube out of it, then weld it over your crown vic assy, then you're mostly all set..!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/26/10 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: thejsx1
You'll have to trim a little bit of the cross member so the trans slips over it..! Don't worry about this issue, you'll understand while at it..! As for the pedals, ain't much difficult, you take your Crown vic brake pedal out of it. Then get yourself a mustang pedal kit, get the clutch pedal tube out of it, then weld it over your crown vic assy, then you're mostly all set..!

pas si difficile lol t'as quand même fait compliqué pour rien lol. ;\)
(inside joke for jsx)

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/26/10 11:59 PM

yeah I know, i've got my dumb moments...way too often tough! but hey... getting better everytime!
Posted by: KG6ZVP

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/05/10 11:33 PM

Hey, guys. I found this transmission and it looked different than your TR-3650. Is this correct?:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1622590013.html
Posted by: Grandpacruiser

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/10/10 07:07 AM

I'm getting ready to buy a new shifter for my T45 swap, and had a question.

Have you guys had any problems with the shifter hitting the dash? I was wondering if I need to buy a special shifter, also I'm really tall and I think a short throw might be uncomfortable to use.

I was looking at the Hurst Shifter for 94-98 mustangs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HUU-3915071/

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/10/10 07:18 AM

I do have a Hurst short throw shifter and I love it.
In my car I have plenty of space to shift even if it looks close.

You still have a bit of play when instaling the handle on the base to bring it a bit colder to you.
Posted by: DreamN

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/02/10 09:55 PM

What would be the key differences when doing this swap with a '96 Town Car? Also, due to budget, will most likely be using a T-45.

My obvious concerns are clutch pedal mounting, crossmember, trans. mount, and the drive shaft.

Any members who've done the swap on a mid 90s Panther care to jump in or message me I'd appreciate it greatly.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/03/10 10:58 AM

It involve pertty much the same parts and work.check my write-up on this if you didnt alredy did.
When performing that kind of swap you dont want to cut corner on parts .
If you are running on a tight budget you may want to wait a liitle more because that kind of swap is anything but cheap unless you get the kit that one of the guy is or was selling here for less than 1000$
Posted by: DreamN

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/03/10 11:34 AM

When I meant by budget it was simply on the transmission choice. T-45s are plentiful at the local yard. TR-3650s, not so much. The TR-3650 could easily double, triple in some cases, the cost of this swap.

I'm very lucky at the fact that within 15 miles of me there are several salvage yards that I can visit any day of the week. A few Ford specific yards and one ALL MUSTANG.

I'd like to go an OEM route with this swap to keep costs low as well. So pretty much everything off a late 90s Mustang is what I'm looking for. Of course a pilot bearing, clutch bearing, clutch kit, and a Hurst shifter will all be purchased new. I can get these items (except the shifter - only OEM spec parts) at a decent price as I have a friend who gives me wholesale prices on all my car parts.

I want to use the clutch from a late '90s Mustang as well and see if I can have a friend weld it up like you've done on your car.

Have no clue what to do with the crossmember. Any insight on this for our cars?

Tune? Is Lonnie the only one available for this service? What happens if I don't get a tune?

From what I gather I most likely won't have to do anything to my drive shaft other than change to the 28 spline, though it already may be. Can someone confirm that? If not, then I would need the spacer, correct?

Right now, my main concerns are the clutch, the crossmember and the tune. Everything else I'm certain I've understood.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/04/10 01:09 PM

Theses cars are heavy and requires strong parts to make them moove.
The t-45 make the job on a car like a mustang but was never intended to be use in such heavy cars.
Acording to a reputable local transmisson shop even the stock tr-3650 is borderline in term of durability when it comes to push the car to it's limit so I dont want to know how a used probably beat-up t45 would last.

I know only one person here who put a t-45 on a 03+ car and it's funkrider but unfortunatly he didnt keep the car long enought to know how long it would last.

the crossmember on 03+ car cant be modified as easily as the 02- that why it's a bit tricky as for your application i cant tell you since i didnt do it on 02- cars.

the tune is mandatory other wise you car will run like crap big time.
I refer to lonnie because he is a sponsor here on the site and made many manual transmission tune for member heres.

dont let the tranmission be the weak link in your drivetrain because you will have to replace it sooner than expected and it will cost youmore at the end garantee.

My first stock tr-3650 paid 900$ remanufactured lasted a year.
My second tr-3650 can hold up to 495 hp/tq but was cheaper than paying for two transmission.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/05/10 12:42 AM

So my Question to you 2004_P71 is this, I'm bolting my TR3650 to my Stock NPI motor, will it be fine until i get the 5.4 done? because I'm sure by then the 5.4 will make more than stock 350ft-lbs and more than likely very close to, if not more than, 490ft-lbs.

Also, I'm doing this swap in a Pre 03 car. Is it pretty much the same with the pedal set up?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/05/10 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Bondfreak13
So my Question to you 2004_P71 is this, I'm bolting my TR3650 to my Stock NPI motor, will it be fine until i get the 5.4 done? because I'm sure by then the 5.4 will make more than stock 350ft-lbs and more than likely very close to, if not more than, 490ft-lbs.

Also, I'm doing this swap in a Pre 03 car. Is it pretty much the same with the pedal set up?

A stock tr-3650 will be fine with most stock application as long as you dont beat the car with slicks at the track every weekend.

If you are going to play around the 490 lb/tq mark I would sugess you tolook forother option than tr-3650 even the up-graded version like mine and get a tko 500/600.

According to quickcrownvic theses transmission could drive a dumptruck!! The donwside from few mustang local guy who has the tko is that they are rought like hell and for a daily driver it,s far from being the greatest.

My transmission is rated at 495 hp/lb tq and I would still not play around theses numbers.It may holds that much but with the weight of the car you have to lower the rating numbers.

You may want to contact americanpowertrain and see what they have to offer?
They have lot of up-grades for the tr-3650 if it's the one you really want. Mine is 10 spline but they offer the same with 26 spline and lot more other option that cant remember.

If I were you I would wait till I get the funds for the transmission you really want.
Because It involve more than the transmission itself.
Mounts are different output shaft have different numbers of spline so clutch and pressure plate cant be swapped...

as for the pedal set-up it should not be different.
If you are not too hurry mine will be for sale soon.
Posted by: Grandpacruiser

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/05/10 04:40 PM

Would using a 99 mustang GT 5 speed ECM work?

I was thinking about just swapping the ECM to fix the computer issue, I want to tune it but I have some other mods to do first that won't be done any time soon.
Posted by: JohnnyB

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/06/10 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Grandpacruiser
Would using a 99 mustang GT 5 speed ECM work?

I was thinking about just swapping the ECM to fix the computer issue, I want to tune it but I have some other mods to do first that won't be done any time soon.

No. that won't work unless you feel like rewiring a whole bunch.

best bet is to get a handheld tuner that you can get new tunes for later.

The only difference between the 4.6 & 5.4 that would affect the trans is the # of bolt holes in the crank, either 6 or 8-the flywheel needs to match. My '99 has a 6 bolt crank and I *think* all 5.4's have 8.

As far as pedals go, I copied 4K#FE. His write-up on pedals is somewhere in his thread in the box archive found here. I did have to reinforce the pedal assembly and I added a 1/8" plate between it and the firewall that extends to where the cable comes through because the firewall is pretty weak.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/06/10 12:31 PM

A tune is the easiest and best way to get rids of the problem.

yes all 5.4 have 8 bolt crank.
Posted by: BLUE99CROWNVIC

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/14/10 11:01 PM

ok so my brother asked me the other day if we can do a swap on his car...he has a 93 cvpi...will this swap be easier to do or just as time consuming..is there anything that i need to know other then what has been talked about here...if someone can PM me due to the fact i rarely every check this anymore due to my work schedule..

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/16/10 01:54 PM

you can do it on a 93 but the steps wont be much diferent and it will be still time consuming
there is no short cut for this
Posted by: coz

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/01/11 01:41 AM

Bumping this from the dead instead of making a new thread.

I'm about to begin a 3650 swap with my '05 CVPI. I'm a little concerned about the throttle by wire system/tune/etc without the stock auto. Anyone seen any '05+ manual swaps done?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/01/11 05:25 AM

to cvn

wow it,s been a while.

In answer to your question,you dont have to worry abouth anything with a tune.<contact lonnie at blue oval chip he is a sponsor here <he is the one who did all my tunes the last couple years

if you have any other question dont hesitate

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/01/11 12:12 PM

Been lurking for quite a while, just finally decided to post up since the nice automatic finally decided to bite the dust yesterday with 114K. \:\)

I do have a brand new XCAL2 I bought a few months back. Contacted Lonnie last night, does he sell tunes without programmers?

I'm pretty excited to get started on the project, just need to round all the parts up first. I found a local '06 3650 with 10K on it for an extremely good deal, but then later read about the issues I would run into with the hydraulic clutch/shifter/completely different driveshaft. Also have a lead on a local '01 3650 with 25K on it, which seems like the winner. Haven't decided yet if I want to swap over to a civilian driveshaft, or try and find/make a spacer. Also haven't decided which route to go for a shifter. How do you like the positioning of yours? I was going to try and find a long-ish handle, because I definitely don't want something right off the floor.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/01/11 01:07 PM

Anyone know if the '05+ flywheel/clutch setup will work on the older '02 cable style 3650? I realize the 05+ are hydraulic throw out bearings, but I don't see why the actual 10 spline disc/pressure-plate with matched 6 bolt flywheel wouldn't physically work if I used the '02 style throw out bearing/cable. Basically I am still wanting to buy the clutch setup from the guy with the '06, as it is a great deal and very low mileage.

Thoughts?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/01/11 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: coz
Been lurking for quite a while, just finally decided to post up since the nice automatic finally decided to bite the dust yesterday with 114K. \:\)

I do have a brand new XCAL2 I bought a few months back. Contacted Lonnie last night, does he sell tunes without programmers?

I'm pretty excited to get started on the project, just need to round all the parts up first. I found a local '06 3650 with 10K on it for an extremely good deal, but then later read about the issues I would run into with the hydraulic clutch/shifter/completely different driveshaft. Also have a lead on a local '01 3650 with 25K on it, which seems like the winner. Haven't decided yet if I want to swap over to a civilian driveshaft, or try and find/make a spacer. Also haven't decided which route to go for a shifter. How do you like the positioning of yours? I was going to try and find a long-ish handle, because I definitely don't want something right off the floor.

Lonnie will sell you a tune according to your need if you have bought a programmer from him oterwise if the programmer is comming from someone else he may not be able to program it...that is something you better check with him in this case.

AS for the 05+ tr3650 i knew they were hydraulic so i didnt really bother trying to convert them to cable clutch system.
No matter whic tr3650 you choose you will have to deal with different drive shaft yoke but getting the mustang ones and swap it on your crown vic drive shaft,

I'massuming that you saw funkrider write up because he used a very short shifter My shifter is a hurst short throw base with a hurst handle for the fox mustangs and I really like it..you dont need anything longer to drive the car.

if you are planning on only few bolts on with your car the stock tremec will hold fine with a good clutch but if you want to go wild on mods and drag race every week end forget abouth it and step up to an up-graded unit with beefier syncros and forks.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/02/11 01:07 AM

Got a hold of Lonnie, he'll be doing my tune.

I passed up on the steal for the $300 10K '06 tranny. I am going to still pick up the '06 clutch/flywheel setup for $50, since it only has 10K on it. This is a low budget project, but it would have ended up costing more with the newer tranny due to the non-slip yoke style driveshaft the '05+ have, the clutch hydraulics, and the expensive remote shifters.

I'm picking up the '01 3650 with 25K on it (hopefully the guy is right that it's a 3650, I'll have to double check) this Friday for $400 including a short shifter base. Once tax money comes the tune/shifter handle/misc bolts/driveshaft yoke will be purchased and then I'll try and mock up whatever clutch pedal I can find. It'll all be swapped in a 3 weeks from now when I have a week off.

I'll take some pictures to contribute another perspective on a "how to".

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/02/11 01:38 AM

The standard steeda 99-04 driveshaft spacer won't work with the p71 driveshaft/rear end will it? I thought I read somewhere our bolt pattern was different?

Anyone have a source for one? I might just grab a civilian shaft.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/02/11 03:03 PM

The standard steeda 99-04 driveshaft spacer won't work with the p71 driveshaft/rear end will it? I thought I read somewhere our bolt pattern was different?

Anyone have a source for one? I might just grab a civilian shaft.

forget abouth the spacer i didnt used it on mine and no the ones from steeda wont work.
I made mine of a pinion flange and works like a charm but it wsa installed on another car

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/03/11 11:34 AM

Can you do me a favor and measure how long your shifter handle is along the contour of it?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/03/11 04:28 PM

Can you do me a favor and measure how long your shifter handle is along the contour of it?

sure
Posted by: needforspeed1060

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/03/11 10:37 PM

i did it on my 2005 the swap orded a shaft form dynotech so its balenced corectly and used a 2002-2004 tr3650 a sachs steel flywheel form rock auto and center force clutch and welded the cable clutch dont use hydrulic! i bought a willwood set up and forget that! cable is so much easier

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/04/11 12:42 AM

Yeah I'm going cable, picking up the '02 3650 tomorrow!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/04/11 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: needforspeed1060
i did it on my 2005 the swap orded a shaft form dynotech so its balenced corectly and used a 2002-2004 tr3650 a sachs steel flywheel form rock auto and center force clutch and welded the cable clutch dont use hydrulic! i bought a willwood set up and forget that! cable is so much easier

why and to what did you welded the cable?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/11 08:48 PM

So what you're saying is you ended up using no spacer on the rear of the driveshaft at all? The stock CVPI alum shaft is engaged in the 3650 enough? I was wondering if this was the case, somewhere I read 3650s are barely longer than T45s.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/11/11 06:36 AM

So what you're saying is you ended up using no spacer on the rear of the driveshaft at all? The stock CVPI alum shaft is engaged in the 3650 enough? I was wondering if this was the case, somewhere I read 3650s are barely longer than T45s.

the difference in lenght is not enought to need the spacer. i'll look to my speck to give you the difference in lenght
Posted by: sangeeth

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/01/11 06:20 AM

Finally got my conversion done last month!

The car runs perfect. A huge THANKYOU to Pier, thejsx1, Lonnie and all others who helped. will post up pics soon.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/01/11 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: sangeeth

The car runs perfect. A huge THANKYOU to Pier, thejsx1, Lonnie and all others who helped. will post up pics soon.

you are very welcome
glad you like that

enjoy

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/01/11 03:58 PM

I found a T45 from a 1998 Mustang GT. Is this the one I want? (I've got a '97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor) I'm looking for the one that doesn't need to be modified at all. Is this a direct bolt-on? (with a civilian driveshaft?)

Which year and type (TKO, TR3650, etc.) will bolt directly in to my '97 police model?

If it helps, I have a non-digital dash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/01/11 05:36 PM

Eiter a t-45 or 01 to 04 tremec tr-3650 will fit the question is wich one will last the longest.

the tr3650 is an updated version of the t45.
it is stronger but not bullet proof.

if you are planning on mother mods along the way i'd get an upgraded version from americanpowertrain that goes for 1100$ and will take 430 lbs_tq

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/01/11 07:00 PM

Eiter a t-45 or 01 to 04 tremec tr-3650 will fit the question is wich one will last the longest.

the tr3650 is an updated version of the t45.
it is stronger but not bullet proof.

if you are planning on mother mods along the way i'd get an upgraded version from americanpowertrain that goes for 1100$ and will take 430 lbs_tq
so, I don't have to modify the crossmember, etc. in older vics with the 3650? (I had read that it was only the T45 which would bolt right in and then only certain years and versions)

Thanks for the tip. I've found several upgraded versions. One T45 rated to 750ft-lbs at 8000rpm and several comparable TKO's.

Basically, I'm just looking for something that would be *mostly* plug and play.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/02/11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: sangeeth

That was a pleasure :P

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/02/11 06:12 PM

Quote:
so, I don't have to modify the crossmember, etc. in older vics with the 3650? (I had read that it was only the T45 which would bolt right in and then only certain years and versions)

Thanks for the tip. I've found several upgraded versions. One T45 rated to 750ft-lbs at 8000rpm and several comparable TKO's.

Well, the modifications to the cross member are very minimal, you<ll have to cut a bit of the part that bolts to the trans a little bit but it is very easy to figure out, thats not at all the biggest issue of the swap...

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/02/11 08:21 PM

Quote:

Well, the modifications to the cross member are very minimal, you<ll have to cut a bit of the part that bolts to the trans a little bit but it is very easy to figure out, thats not at all the biggest issue of the swap...
I notice you also have a '97. Would the T45 have been any more plug and play?

I am trying to get away with only drilling two extra holes:
one through the firewall and one through the floorboard.

Did you go with mechanical clutch? (I have heard that mechanical clutches are much easier to install)

thejsx1, how did you do your pedal setup?

Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/03/11 01:41 PM

no matter if you get a t-45 or tremec tr3650 they are externaly the same so you will have to modify the crossmember anyways.
He also has the cable clutch desing on his car pretty much based on the same pedal set-up than me

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/03/11 05:49 PM

no matter if you get a t-45 or tremec tr3650 they are externaly the same so you will have to modify the crossmember anyways.
He also has the cable clutch desing on his car pretty much based on the same pedal set-up than me
Thanks for the info, 2004_P71. That clears up a lot!

It sounds like I should look for a TR-3650 with a mechanical speedometer and mechanical clutch?

Which years would that be?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/03/11 07:08 PM

they came in the 01 to 04 mustangs
they can be found on ebay fr 900$ rebuilt
and upgraded for 1100 at american powertrain

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/04/11 08:32 PM

If you use a 96-98 GT T45 it would bolt up without crossmember modifications if the crossmember is the same as a '93. The Cobra t45 rear mount different.

READ THIS from Modern Driveline:What's up with T-45 Transmissions?

Borg Warner T-45 transmissions were only used behind 4.6L single and dual over head Mustangs from 1996 to 1999. TREMEC, in 2000, replaced the T-45 with the TR-3650 which is very similar in design. The T-45's design is very much like the T-56 six speed transmissions. In fact the T-45 and T-56 share many of the same parts. It has single rail gear selector and carbon lined steel synchro rings making it a smooth shifting transmission at high rpm's. The gears are larger and stronger then a T-5 and about the same as a TREMEC 3550 in size. The T-45 is the first transmission in the B/W -TREMEC lineup with a built-in bell housing so it can not be exchanged. This limits the T-45 to 4.6L mod motors as the bolt pattern is different than the Windsor push rod motors.

T-45 from 1996-98 GT are different than the Cobra Mustangs. The transmission mount point is moved further back for the Cobras and as well as a 8 tooth drive speedometer gear. Cobra T-45's are equipped with a 7 tooth speedo gear. In 1999 all T-45's were changed to the Cobra specs. Why this was not done earlier is not understood.

T-45 shifters are the same as the T-5 shifter, therefore, any aftermarket shifter will work on both transmissions. Borg Warner WC T-5/T-45/T-56 all use ATF oil or Synthetic ATF. No other oil should be used. Redline MTL should not be used. Redline ATF is fine. My recommendation is to use Amsoil ATF as I have used it for years at the track with great results.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/05/11 04:44 PM

Georges93LX, that was a very helpful post. Thanks. I have now found a T-45 in good condition that I will rebuild in the future to accommodate the extra power of any future mods.

If anybody is interested in where to find upgrade parts (searching Google didn't yield me anything), some Mustang forums had these links:
http://www.keislerauto.com/
http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/TRANSMISSIONS.html
T-45 parts:
http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/NEW_T45_Xploded_View.html
http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/?q=node/4
I hope some of these links are helpful to others who just want a "direct bolt-on" kind of setup.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/14/11 12:00 PM

Have my swap+various modifications finished to my '05, just waiting on the tune from Lonnie to show up in the inbox and then the first test drive!

I'll be making a thread with my own pictures/worklog/helpful details soon.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/14/11 02:36 PM

good work man smile
I'm sure you'll love it

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/14/11 07:21 PM

heres a video up-date abouth the pedals

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 12:33 AM

Good video. I'd say it was spot on.

I would like to emphasize that the stock pedal box must be reinforced. I went through a bunch of cables and a lot of welding, and rewelding because mine kept flexing. It got to a point where it was binding and started pulling the firewall in a bit. I reinforced the crap out of it and it's good now...would've been better to get it right the first time.
Posted by: CNGInterceptor

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 12:11 PM

heres a video up-date abouth the pedals

Excellent! Beyond excellent!

Thanks for taking the time and making this video.

grin

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: CNGInterceptor

Excellent! Beyond excellent!

Thanks for taking the time and making this video.

grin

thanks man

I'm here to learn and serve laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 06:21 PM

part 2

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 07:14 PM

Great job! I didn't re-enforce my pedal box and I haven't had any problems with it either. I also cut my pedal arms and rewelded them which I know a lot of people would be against for fear of breakage.
Posted by: Ogre

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/15/11 10:05 PM

seeing that it is this easy REALLY makes me want to buy a real CVPI and do it.
Posted by: needforspeed1060

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/17/11 08:02 PM

i would liek to see a close up picture of the firewall hole

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/18/11 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: needforspeed1060
i would liek to see a close up picture of the firewall hole

it.s comming next in the final part wink

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/19/11 06:26 PM

I,ll be able to do an update on this swap tomorow for thoses of you who have asked me some questions

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/21/11 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyB
Good video. I'd say it was spot on.

I would like to emphasize that the stock pedal box must be reinforced. I went through a bunch of cables and a lot of welding, and rewelding because mine kept flexing. It got to a point where it was binding and started pulling the firewall in a bit. I reinforced the crap out of it and it's good now...would've been better to get it right the first time.

Great vid pier! I did reinforce my pedal box as well, because my first one collapsed under the weight of the clutch.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/26/11 06:43 PM

V2.0 of the clutch pedal assembly completed
final video and pics to come tomorow

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/27/11 07:13 PM

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/28/11 11:31 AM

^ SO much win! The pedals look amazing grin

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/28/11 11:33 AM

thanks man laugh
Posted by: bboelkp71

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/08/11 09:26 PM

Any tricks to getting the top bolts out of the tranny? Am I able to pull it w/o taking the cats off?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/09/11 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: bboelkp71
Any tricks to getting the top bolts out of the tranny? Am I able to pull it w/o taking the cats off?

As far as removing the automatic? The exhaust needs to come out.
After you drop the crossmember piece (and remove the driveshaft) support the back of the trans and slowly lower the back down.
You should be able to access the top bolts with a 4ft. extension and a 13mm swivel socket.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/11/11 08:05 PM

The exhaust does not have to come out. If you remove the wipers/motor/box assembly (easy to do) then you can reach the upper trans bolts from the top. That's how I did it; no cat removal necessary.
Posted by: bboelkp71

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/11/11 11:27 PM

thanks for the feedback guys i'm hoping to get my t45 in this weekend

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/12/11 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnnyB
The exhaust does not have to come out. If you remove the wipers/motor/box assembly (easy to do) then you can reach the upper trans bolts from the top. That's how I did it; no cat removal necessary.

in it,s case it is absolutly correct to state that no cat removal is necessary since he owns a pre 2003 car but any car from 2003+ will require this process remove the cross member transmission
Posted by: Vic99P71

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/19/12 09:58 AM

Ok so I have a 99 crown Vic interceptor. Been reading all these post. So I have a guy near me with 96-98 cobra parts. I was hoping to purchase the trans, clutch, clutch plate basaclly every thing he's got including drive shaft! But I seen something in here that says cobra trans are diff??? Is this true? Or will this trans bolt right up. Really looking forward to the winter project but I'm not sure about this. Please someone help me before it gets sold.
Posted by: walnutavenue

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/19/12 10:09 AM

That transmission will bolt up to the engine. The only possible difference is the overall length of the trans. Worst case is that you'll need a driveshaft spacer.

The driveshaft for the cobra will be too short, but you will need the slip-yoke from the mustang driveshaft to put on your crown vic driveshaft.
Posted by: NGreen0807

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/19/12 10:27 AM

Hey what about the hole in the firewall for the clutch cable?

What is the correct position?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/19/12 11:54 AM

The nature of the custom-made pedals would make the clutch cable position a little different for everyone. (Well, if Peir makes your pedals your position might match his.) I positioned mine by getting the pedals complete and in place, then I marked a spot on the firewall directly in front of and level with the point on the clutch quadrant where the cable will sit. My firewall adjuster leaves about 3/8" clearance between the cable and the edges, so that leaves a little bit of room for error with positioning. Also, there's no harm in oversizing the hole, so long as there's still enough metal to have something for the firewall adjuster to fasten to. I recall using a dremel tool to widen the hole to fine-tune the position of the adjuster.

I strongly advise that you remove the brake master cylinder and booster so you can work from the engine side. I fought it for hours from the interior before giving up and pulling the brake system out of the way. I wish I would have started that way.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/19/12 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: walnutavenue
(Well, if Peir makes your pedals your position might match his.) I positioned mine by getting the pedals complete and in place, then I marked a spot on the firewall directly in front of and level with the point on the clutch quadrant where the cable will sit. My firewall adjuster leaves about 3/8" clearance between the cable and the edges, so that leaves a little bit of room for error with positioning. Also, there's no harm in oversizing the hole, so long as there's still enough metal to have something for the firewall adjuster to fasten to. I recall using a dremel tool to widen the hole to fine-tune the position of the adjuster.

I strongly advise that you remove the brake master cylinder and booster so you can work from the engine side. I fought it for hours from the interior before giving up and pulling the brake system out of the way. I wish I would have started that way.

I could not have say it any better laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 06:09 PM

I'm having some trouble breaking the bolts free on the drive shaft. I sprayed them with some pb blast tried a breaker bar. Did you guys use an impact wrench? Maybe I will try that.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Vic99P71
I'm having some trouble breaking the bolts free on the drive shaft. I sprayed them with some pb blast tried a breaker bar. Did you guys use an impact wrench? Maybe I will try that.

you have to heat them a little bit to brake them free as it should have some red loctite on it

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 06:15 PM

While I was doing the last two set of pedals i was filming every step so I will make another more detailed video on how to do the pedals

stay tuned smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 06:20 PM

Very good. Thanks man for the quick reply. Figured I'd tear the drive shaft and trans out. Just to be ready for when I go pick the new one up. I'm Larry the guy who emailed you earlier in the week btw. You do some great write ups. And the 5.4 Vic makes me so jealous lol. Nice car man

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 06:22 PM

Very good. Thanks man for the quick reply. Figured I'd tear the drive shaft and trans out. Just to be ready for when I go pick the new one up. I'm Larry the guy who emailed you earlier in the week btw. You do some great write ups. And the 5.4 Vic makes me so jealous lol. Nice car man

oh lol
yes I remember you now I just replyed to your email saying that you would get faster answer from me on cvn because i'm always here lol

thanks for the nice comments smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/25/12 08:19 PM

Ok drive shaft out. Little heat goes a long way. Lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/26/12 05:57 AM

Ok drive shaft out. Little heat goes a long way. Lol

good to hear

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/26/12 07:20 AM

What's the easiest way to go about dropping the trans. Just disconnect all the harnesses then get the wipers and all that out of the way? Or is it possible to leave all that and get the top bolts from underneath.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/26/12 02:53 PM

disconect everything and leave the harness on it.
you can have acess to the two top bolt from underneath with extention.
just be carefull to not strip any head with a missaligned socked

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 03:38 PM

Are all the hoses for the trans fluid the same on the t45 or do they need to be modified?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 04:08 PM

rolleyes lol jk man

A standard transmission doesn't fill in the same way as the 4R70W. And the standard transmissions don't have a dipstick. The 5-speeds have a drain plug on the bottom (TR3650) or kinda on the side on the bottom (T45) and the fill is on the side of the case higher up.

There are no hoses that you'll be keeping. The transmission cooling lines will need to come out and the dipstick too.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 04:28 PM

heres the new generation of clutches pedals.
this one was made for NGreen0807 laugh

I did some improvement and now the pedals are all made according to the same desing and will only use factory parts from a to z

I did another video regarding the fabrication of the pedals with more details so stay tuned smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 05:46 PM

So does this mean I have the first of the revised design??? laugh

They look awesome. I can't wait to get them!
Posted by: wayfastwhitey

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 06:43 PM

i would love to go manual, but unfortunatly i think it would cost more than the mods im already trying to finish gathering parts for

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NGreen0807
So does this mean I have the first of the revised design??? laugh

They look awesome. I can't wait to get them!

yeah man you and osmosis got the new design smile
Posted by: KayTar

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 10:20 PM

WOW awesome work Pier!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/30/12 10:32 PM

Those things do look pretty amazing.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 05:44 AM

thanks guys
Posted by: wayfastwhitey

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 11:09 AM

i'm jelly now... makes me want to reconsider a manual trans swap, but i love my jmod...

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 12:23 PM

makes me want to upgrade.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 02:54 PM

Nice work Pier! They look clean and oem :P!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 03:24 PM

makes me want to upgrade.

sure man anytime smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 01/31/12 03:25 PM

Nice work Pier! They look clean and oem :P!

thanks man

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/03/12 09:28 AM

You don't happen to have a spare for sale do ya? Lol Maybe we can work something out.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/03/12 04:15 PM

You don't happen to have a spare for sale do ya? Lol Maybe we can work something out.

pm sent

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/06/12 09:12 AM

So from what read the stock clutch and flywheel will not work on our cars? Is that correct. And why don't the work. Also if they don't work whats a good site to look in to find what I need. Thanks

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/06/12 02:29 PM

So from what read the stock clutch and flywheel will not work on our cars? Is that correct. And why don't the work. Also if they don't work whats a good site to look in to find what I need. Thanks

It will but it is not what you want to put.

The point that i'm trying to make with all the threads regarding the 5 speed swap is that you have to think outside of the box for this swap.
You can put a stock t45 with a 10.5 clutch if you want it will fit and will work for a period of time but forget durability ,reliability on stock components when theses parts are installed on a 2tons+ car.

You want to get the best parts available in the best condition available and some parts just require to be bought new like the flywheel ,clutch/pressure plate.
Centerforce makes a soft combo that will work very well on stock to modified cars while being soft and not hard on the left leg.
Anything like ram, mcleod,spec powergrip will offer more gripping capacity but the pressure plate will be harder to disengage that is the price to pay.
You may look at summitracing.com or any mustang oriented site that sells parts for the stangs.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/06/12 04:07 PM

My RAM clutch is really stiff. but I like a firmer clutch.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/06/12 04:25 PM

My RAM clutch is really stiff. but I like a firmer clutch.

you are lucky to have the second desing as the first one had a shorter clutch pedal wich was making the centerforce look like a ram unit

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/07/12 10:07 AM

So I take it there is no way I trade up on the Pedals I got

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/07/12 03:14 PM

So I take it there is no way I trade up on the Pedals I got

anything is possible with me just send them back
pm sent

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 05:17 PM

Ok so I got the new trans. But here's my problems. I got the cobra trans so the cross member mount is further back. No big deal. But the flywheel it came with was a 8 hole. I need a six hole. So what should I do. Buy a whole clutch setup w/ flywheel from center force. If someone can chime in with a link to the one I need.
Thanks

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 05:21 PM

Buy a new 6 hole flywheel.
you can reuse the 11 inches clutch pressure plate if it,s still good.

ram mcloed centerforce are brands you can thrust

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 05:57 PM

Clutch is about 10.5 inches?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 06:24 PM

I ask napa for a 6 bolt flywheel they say there is only 8 bolt for mustang. They said they do have a f150 that's 6 bolt but its for an 11 inch clutch I think. Could I use that with the clutch I got or no?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 11:45 PM

Clutch is about 10.5 inches?

ditch that and get a 11 inches

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/10/12 11:46 PM

I ask napa for a 6 bolt flywheel they say there is only 8 bolt for mustang. They said they do have a f150 that's 6 bolt but its for an 11 inch clutch I think. Could I use that with the clutch I got or no?

one particular year the mustang had a windsor engine that has 8 bolts but if you ask a dealer or check ebay you will find plenty of 6 bolts flywheel

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/12/12 11:54 PM

Can someone explain what the electrical plugs are on manual trans? Automatic had three electric harness and then the neutral safety switch attached to the shift cable shaft. Manual has one electric harness and two threaded Connections. I don't know what they are. Anyone who can explain the two would help me out. I ordered up the 6 hole flywheel with 10.5 clutch to match the one I have. Cut the hole for the shifter. re-welder my crossmember to fit the trans mounts. Almost ready to get this Going.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 12:05 AM

Back up lamp switch. Speed sensor.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 12:18 AM

Do you know how to wire that in?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 12:30 AM

WHEN your up to the wiring part. Shoot me a PM and I'll help you out.

I just did the wiring on my swap this past weekend.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 12:32 AM

Since this a Thread about Manual swaps why not post it for all to see?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 07:30 AM

Along with the wiring I have another question. I bought the trans it didn't come with a seperator plate or dust shield thing. Do I use the original or will that one not work? Just curious

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 07:35 AM

I have the dust shield for the clutch cable fork. But I'm talking about the thin plate in between the trans and motor.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 08:18 AM

Yes you'll need a plate from a 5-speed mustang. You can cut up your automatic plate but I found it easier to just grab one for a few bucks.

You know, good point smile

If I have some spare time I'll throw something together

beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 08:42 AM

Ok thanks man. I'll go look online see what I can find.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 08:45 AM

Yes you'll need a plate from a 5-speed mustang. You can cut up your automatic plate but I found it easier to just grab one for a few bucks.

You know, good point smile

If I have some spare time I'll throw something together

beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 09:34 AM

What needs to be done to make the one I have work? Is the difference the flywheel. Since the automatic flywheel had a curve shape. the seperator plate never touched it. With the manual the fly wheel is more flat so it would rub I'm guessing. So i would need to cut that portion out I'm guessing???

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 09:46 AM

Your absolutely right smile

This is an automatic plate:

5-speed plate:

You can cut out the auto plate to make it work. A couple guys have done it that way. I just chose to grab the appropriate plate off eBay.

To use your stock one you'll need to cut out the center portion.

Hope that helps.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 09:49 AM

Here's a plate for you smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170747310309?redirect=mobile

I bought mine from the same seller. I offered $20 and it was accepted.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 10:20 AM

Thanks a lot nick. That helps a bunch. Its not letting me open the link it just brings me to eBayobile on my phone. I'll check it out after work. Thanks for the pics it's nice to see side by side like that.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/13/12 11:43 AM

Sorry about that.

Try this smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170747310309?redirect=mobile#ht_786wt_689

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 07:53 AM

Flywheel should be here tomorrow. Pedals shortly afterwards. I'm still curious as how to wire up the reverse lights. And what to do with the neutral position sensor. Think I read somewhere you can leave it in. Set it to neutral and the car can be started. If anyone knows the correct way please fill me in. Thanks

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 07:57 AM

And for the clutch I need a cable, clutch quadrant and firewall adjustment right? I have a big bbk clutch quadrant and firewall adjustment but no cable. 96-04 cables should work fine?
Posted by: Midlifecrisis

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 09:27 AM

Has anyoen tried to use the 99-04 V6 pedal assembly? I'm sure they're much easier to come by.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 09:40 AM

My local junk yard had no manual mustangs. Both of them.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 10:02 AM

You can get them on eBay for cheap. I paid $30 for my mustang pedals.

Just search for "mustang clutch pedal assembly"

1994-2004 GT will work. I'm not sure if 6 cylinder cars have the same setup.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 10:23 AM

My pedals were from a V6. I can't say they're exactly the same as a V8, but they work fine.

And regarding the neutral sensor; mine is zip-tied to the transmission and set to neutral as you described. I'm not sure if Lonnie's tune makes that unnecessary, and I could remove it completely. I've never checked because everything works fine as is.

Also, I'm one of the people who cut the auto-trans plate instead of getting a manual one. Sadly, I don't have a picture of what it cut, but it's easy to slide it on and off with the flywheel in place... so trial and error is the simple solution. At the time I couldn't find a manual-trans plate very cheap, which I why I modified one. If you can get one for 20$ like Nick did... I'd go that route. Even though you can't see it, it's nice to know you have the right part instead of a hacked up wrong part that works.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Midlifecrisis
Has anyoen tried to use the 99-04 V6 pedal assembly? I'm sure they're much easier to come by.

they are the same

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 03:27 PM

You can get them on eBay for cheap. I paid $30 for my mustang pedals.

That is a pretty good deal as I just bought 3 sets that were way more expensive than that and it dosent include the shipping charges yet

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 04:31 PM

What hump on the under carafe needs to be hacked for the trans to fit correctly. I haven't put mine in with the cross member in place yet. Just wondering.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 04:34 PM

the ones that line up with the end of the trans

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 04:48 PM

Under carriage*

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 04:51 PM

Under carriage*

yes
Posted by: m_j

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/14/12 06:48 PM

you have the OSS (for the speedo) and the back up light switch that need to be hooked up
the N safety switch that I just hard wired together so the computer thinks it is in N all the time so you can start it but to pass an inspection you many have to hook up a clutch safety switch to the pedals.
most of the things you would think are wiring problems are in the tune telling the PCM not to look for auto trans sensors. for instance if the computer doesnt see a trans temp sensor it kicks the engine cooling fans on.
if you have an 04 I can get you the wire colours that you need to use to make it run smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/15/12 06:13 PM

Ok I got the flywheel In. Is there anything I should know before putting the clutch in. I don't know anything about these. Do I tighten the bolts to a certain torque spec. If someone could explain this. Thanks

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 07:54 AM

Foursome reason the trans won't slide in the last bit. It's right up to the flywheel but last night I couldn't get it to go the last centimeter. To slide on the guide pins. Does it need a little force to slide in the pilot bearing maybe put a few bolts in spin the evenly see if it pulls it together???

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 08:02 AM

is the clutch center with the pilot bearing?
did you torque the pressure plate bolts?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 08:34 AM

When you install a clutch. You can't let the clutch friction disc hang on the alignment tool. You have to support it.

If its not supported you won't be 100% aligned and it'll make it hard to get the transmission in.

Also. Did you sand the crap off the dowel pins? Everyone always forgets and it makes things a little harder when your by yourself.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 08:43 AM

When you install a clutch. You can't let the clutch friction disc hang on the alignment tool. You have to support it.

If its not supported you won't be 100% aligned and it'll make it hard to get the transmission in.

Also. Did you sand the crap off the dowel pins? Everyone always forgets and it makes things a little harder when your by yourself.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 10:23 AM

Does it need a little force to slide in the pilot bearing maybe put a few bolts in spin the evenly see if it pulls it together???

Don't try to force it together by tightening the bolts, because you risk breaking whatever the obstruction is. If you're getting down to the last centimeter, the splines of the input shaft are already into the clutch... so the problem is probably the tip of the input shaft not aligning with the pilot bearing (as you guessed). Try supporting the transmission in the center with a floor jack, then gently pulling down on the tail end of the transmission and/or rocking it side to side, all while pushing forward so that when the alignment is right it slides home. There isn't really a perfect method, you just have to wiggle the transmission until you get lucky.
Posted by: MidnightStalker

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: walnutavenue
There isn't really a perfect method, you just have to wiggle the transmission until you get lucky.

story of my life. I mean, what? :P

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 08:45 PM

Still not getting it to go in properly. I tightened the pressure plate bolts to 18-22 like I read on another forum. Wiggled the crap out of it. I had it on there with out the bearing and flywheel and clutch on it. Slide on just fine. Now just can't seem to get it with everything else on.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 09:43 PM

have you used a alignment tool for the clutch?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 10:06 PM

No I don't have one. I figured it would be easy to line up by matching the disc to the pressure plate. I stuck my fingers threw the side then held it in place while tightening the bolts. Which I mean it's lined up pretty f'ing good. Now I got it wiggled in pretty close. But it's still not sliding in with ease so... I'm thinking hand tighten the bolt wiggle the trans around see if it pushes forward a bit. Hand tighten the ahgain wiggle it. And so on see If it slowly works its way in.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/16/12 11:59 PM

Alright.

You certainly need a clutch alignment tool. I almost guarantee your off by a little bit. It's nearly impossible to hold the pressure plate, clutch disc and tighten the bolts at the same time.

And where did you get twenty-two foot pounds from? It's actually thirty-three plus an additional sixty degrees. I tightened mine to thirty-three foot pounds and gave them another little tug and called it done.

Torque specs for the flywheel also:

Also did you install the throwout bearing propperly? It's easy to mess those up if it's your first time.

Hope that helps a bit smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 12:39 AM

Oh I forgot to mention.

Rock auto has a clutch alignment tool for your application that costs $2.22

Worth it in my opinion :shrug:

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 07:33 AM

I installed the pilot bearing by pressing by hand a little just to get it to stick the put a socket over the top and tapped it in flush. I'm going to get the tool after work it's got to be the bearing holding me back. Before I put the clutch and bearing on the trans slide on no problem. I only work till noon today so I'll mess with it when I get off work. Hopefully I can get it in today.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 09:19 AM

I'm guessig that for $2.22 the alignment tool Nick referred to is a simple plastic piece that matches the shape of the input shaft, and not a steel one.

The plastic ones work fine, but in my experience they always align the clutch a little bit low because the tool itself doesn't fit tight enough in the pilot bearing. To put it another way; when you hang the clutch assembly on the alignment tool, all that weight bends it down some. So as you're tightening the bolts, try to hold the end of the alignment tool up a little to negate the amount the clutch pulls it down.

There are better alignment tools out there, but unless you're going to replace a lot of clutches I don't think they're worth it. Good luck!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 09:59 AM

^^ your absolutely right.

I was referring to the plastic tool. They do the job in a pinch.

This is the metal tool for anyone interested:

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 10:25 AM

^^ your absolutely right.

I was referring to the plastic tool. They do the job in a pinch.

This is the metal tool for anyone interested:

usualy they comes with the clutch and pressure plate when you buy a set.

I bought a steel one and never really had this type of problem

As nick mentioned you cant assume that the clutch is center to center with the rest.
As for tightening bolts on the trans be extremely careful on this as you may either brake the block or at best strip some threads

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 11:56 AM

I'm pretty sure he's using a used clutch and pressure plate which is why he does not have the tool.

In my humble opinion I think it's very wise to at least install a stock replacement clutch for peace of mind.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 01:01 PM

When I bought my clutch/pressure plate it didnt come with one so that why I end up with the tool that was around 40$ with many bushings.

There are plenty of parts I would not buy used when doing a manual swap because you are never absolutly sure of the condition till you get the parts in hand and even worst like it unfortunatly happened to osmossis you end up with a useless trans.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/17/12 11:03 PM

I still want to know what my tach options are.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 08:54 AM

marauder cluster or any tach in fact..as long as you have the auto meter 9117 module to run the tach

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 09:41 PM

never pull a trans on with the bolts
not even a little bit
if you get it close you can depress the pedal to free the disc up and it might align itself the rest of the way
a friend killed my super T10 by not seating the pilot bearing deep enough and he pulled the trans with the bolts that last little bit
which pushed the input shaft into the mainshaft preloading it

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 10:45 PM

Well got the trans in smile i need some pedals a drive shaft spacer and a new cross member and she will be on the road hopefully. I have both pedal assemblies Vic and mustang. But not looking forward to modding them. Pier you will be receiving a pm from me. I need the hook up lol I have a bbk quadrant I could send you too instead of the stock one. It's going to take me awhile to finish this so I'm in no hurry to get them back. I need to call Lonnie still I don't know how long that takes to get the tune and all. Can't wait to be done with this little project.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 10:48 PM

And the alignment tools is the way to go. Lol what a waist of time trying to get it in without it. Used it went right on. Too smooth.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 11:18 PM

^^ glad you got it worked out. Even the plastic alignment tool is better than nothing.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/18/12 11:30 PM

Yeah $3 piece. But holy cow does it help thing went in with ease this time. Lol thanks for all your help everyone.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 10:14 AM

I have a 3 3/8" in-dash tachometer mounted in an Autometer 5204 gauge cup. Very "muscle car" which I love.

Now I just need to get this Hurst shift handle sticking out of the center of the floor to complete the look grin
Posted by: pantera77

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 10:20 AM

People buy clutch alignment tools?

Get on my level people! grin
(Also note the balla' output shaft seal installer)

Posted by: the5lboss

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 10:35 AM

Now I just need to get this Hurst shift handle sticking out of the center of the floor to complete the look grin

I already ordered Hurst everythin, even the boot will be Hurst haha. I LOVE those old school chrome shift sticks.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 12:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pantera77
People buy clutch alignment tools?

Get on my level people! grin
(Also note the balla' output shaft seal installer)

OTC makes great stuff wink

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 01:07 PM

Pier you will be receiving a pm from me.
I need to call Lonnie still I don't know how long that takes to get the tune and all. Can't wait to be done with this little project.

great man I'll be making a set for you smile

as for lonnie it all depends if he is really busy but his service is top notch smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/19/12 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: the5lboss

I already ordered Hurst everythin, even the boot will be Hurst haha. I LOVE those old school chrome shift sticks.

Hurst ftmfw laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/21/12 04:53 PM

Does anyone know where this cable goes. When I pulled the trans there was a flat cable looks like maybe a ground cable that just has two clips? like it just slides onto whatever it's for. but when I pulled it one side wasn't connected an I didn't pay much to it when I pulled it out.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/21/12 05:51 PM

A photo perhaps?
Posted by: thedanned

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/21/12 07:58 PM

Braided steel cable with clips on each end? Its a grounding strap for sure. On my 2000 there is a flat part of the frame on the RH side next to the transmission it connects to and the other end goes on the webbing somewhere on the engine block. I think anyway but Im too lazy to go jack up my car.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/21/12 08:41 PM

That's what I thought too.

The "clip-on" part is what threw me off.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/21/12 09:57 PM

Yeah it deff a ground of some sort. It was clip to the frame I think but the other end was just tucked in not clipped to nothing. Was just curious as to it's correct position. oh well worry about that later. It's time to make a crossmember. smile or have a few beers and come up with some ideas at least.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 12:16 AM

I was intimidated at the crossmember at first. But quickly saw that it was no biggie.

Have you gone through my recent TR3650 swap thread? There are photos of nearly everything. Including what I did to the crossmember to make it work.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2418136#Post2418136

For additional pics just ask and I can post them here so everyone can see beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 07:56 AM

Yeah I have a whole diff nightmare lol I bought a cobra trans and the trans mount is further back. So I have to figure out a whole new crossmember. I tried just to flip the bracket to the other side of the cross member. just tacked it on to see if it would work. Not going to. the holes line up right above the cross member not in line with the bracket. So now I'm going to have to make a whole new one. Just some work while I'm waiting for some pedals smile I was thinking just some nice square metal stock to custom make a crossmember. Do you know if I were to make my own how I would level the trans so that the drive shaft say right? Would I have to sit the car level. Then use a 3 ft level on the drive shaft to get it pretty close. Never had to do any of this before.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 08:00 AM

I know on big trucks they go threw U joints like crazy because the drive shaft being so much on an angle. But in this case would it really be that much of an issue.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 08:47 AM

CNG, you have a pic of how your tach looks mounted up?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 09:14 AM

It's actually thirty-three plus an additional sixty degrees. I tightened mine to thirty-three foot pounds and gave them another little tug and called it done.

For jobs like this(and head bolts, etc.) you really should use a torque angle meter:

Just for accuracy.......

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 10:58 AM

That's one tool I don't have yet.

frown

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 11:29 AM

Dude they cost like 10 bucks, you should get one, especially you, I know how much you love tools...lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 11:34 AM

Just ordered one. 1/2" and 3/8" drive.

I bet I did mine another additional 50-55 degrees. Not the end of the world I guess.

I have a feeling I'm gonna have my trans back out soon so I'll redo it anyway.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 12:55 PM

No, definitely not the end of the world, but when it comes to some fasteners(crank bolts, head bolts, etc.) it matters a lot more.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 05:44 PM

Unfortunately, I don't. I'll try to snap pictures and post them up!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/22/12 07:56 PM

Unfortunately, I don't. I'll try to snap pictures and post them up!

Thanks! I'm dying to see this. I think i can run an external tach on the steering cover for under $100. Def. keeps this a budget build.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/27/12 06:25 PM

little update

Posted by: Leadfoot

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/27/12 08:47 PM

Very Impressive and wow drool

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/28/12 03:54 PM

Cool!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 02/28/12 05:47 PM

Can't wait to get my set smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/05/12 07:01 PM

So do I need to plug these old trans lines, pull them all out, or leave them sit? And should I leave the wipers and wiper motor out? For room to get the cable and firewall adjuster in. Or is taking the brake cylinder thing out more than enough room to do all that?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/05/12 10:08 PM

I would remove them

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 09:32 AM

I cut the lines to the trans cooler close to the cooler itself and haven't done anything with them. If you want to keep the inside of the cooler clean for the sake of re-use or resale, it would probably be wise to plug the lines.

I left the wipers in and pulled the master cylinder out. That gave enough room to work on the firewall, and I was able to reach the top bolts on the bellhousing without too much cursing. However, mine is an aero instead of a whale... I'm not sure how much difference that makes regarding the position of the wiper assembly.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 09:40 AM

I can tell you that the Aero and '03+ wiper trays/covers are different. '03+ gives you a little more room.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 10:28 AM

Word of advice here. Unbolt the master from the booster. And when you have the pedals out the booster will be free. You can carefully pull the master to the side and remove just the booster to give you room to make your holes.

Leave the master cylinder attached so you don't have to bleed all the lines.

GSDNH actually gave me that idea. And it saved me a bunch of trouble. I work alone and bleeding brakes can be a pain by yourself.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 10:29 AM

The wiper tray doesn't need to come out. That's just a waste. Only the booster needs to be removed.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 12:49 PM

Word of advice here. Unbolt the master from the booster. And when you have the pedals out the booster will be free. You can carefully pull the master to the side and remove just the booster to give you room to make your holes.

Leave the master cylinder attached so you don't have to bleed all the lines.

I wish I had thought of that...
On the plus side, my son is getting lots of practice as my 'pedal man' for bleeding brakes.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 01:22 PM

Ok thanks guys I'll put the wiper back together today I took them out to get the top bolts on the trans. I don't have a huge Selection of tools. A huge extension being one of them. An the wipers weren't to bad. Just have to remember how they go back. Lol thanks for the info ngreen0807 that will come in handy.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 01:53 PM

I took everything off when i did it just for the ease...wipers takes abouth 5 min so no big deal here and you have better acess to the two top trans bolt instead of using extention and joint from underneat

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 09:32 PM

Got my steeda cable, billet adjuster, and billet quadrant. Left on the list are:

Tuner/tune
Pedals
Clutch
Tach situation
rear mount/yoke.

I wish this would go faster.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 10:22 PM

Expect to run into more snags as you progress.

I had to push my deadline back a month because I wouldn't be ready and I refuse to ghetto my car.

Your gonna love it when your finished smile

I don't know what your doing for the interior but that's the slow part if you wanna make it look factory. I had all the mechanical stuff done it a weekend but it's little things like wiring that take time to do well.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/06/12 10:51 PM

Still on my list- pedals- clutch cable- tune- drive shaft spacer- tach- order a few of those thing this week. Few more next week and hope to have it on the road in a month or so.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 06:34 AM

Still on my list- pedals- clutch cable- tune- drive shaft spacer- tach- order a few of those thing this week. Few more next week and hope to have it on the road in a month or so.

wich trans are you using?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 07:27 AM

T45 out of a 98 cobra with like 35k on it I believe

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 07:34 AM

I know I went cheap. Should have got the step up. But it was cheap and close and gave me a reason to play in the garage.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 10:16 AM

I know I went cheap. Should have got the step up.

eh... don't say 'cheap' like it's a bad thing. Going 'expensive' is pointless if it way surpasses your needs. Look at the example set by Cameron; he used a stock bottom end, stock transmission, and stock rear axles... and is faster than virtually everyone. The skeptics said (or thought) that he was taking the 'cheap' route, and that all those stock parts would fail. Who's laughing now?

If you don't mod the engine too much, shift smooth, and don't use too sticky of tires you should be able to drive the car plenty hard for a long time without issues. As it stands now, the extra strength of the TR 3650 is totally wasted in my car. I should have used a T45 and saved a few hundred bucks.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 10:38 AM

Many people prefer the T45. I wouldn't say you cheaped out smile

The T45 is a much smoother shifting transmission. And as long as your motor isn't built with crazy parts and you know how to drive you'll be fine beer1
Posted by: the5lboss

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 12:31 PM

^^ Agreed. Now I went cheap lol. My t45 was sittin in my garage so I didnt spend a dime on it.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 01:01 PM

Yeah I'm not racing the thing it was more for the project aspect. So far I've learned a lot and had fun so. I'm happy. Just can't wait to actually drive the thing. Lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 01:22 PM

Cool man. That's what it's all about beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 02:36 PM

as it,s alredty been mentioned there is absolutly nothing wrong to use a t-45 as long as you know it's limits.

I was asking you this because if you use the tr-3650 you could have gone away without the spacer but since the t-45 is shorter you will need it.

You also have to change the pinion flange to match the spacer

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 04:27 PM

Is this what I need http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-4851-B/10002/-1 ??? And then just the spacer to match.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/07/12 04:46 PM

Is this what I need http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Racing/397/M-4851-B/10002/-1 ??? And then just the spacer to match.

I cant tell for sure but it looks like it is.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/16/12 07:47 AM

I sure wish they sold a driveshaft spacer for our cars frown Did you guys use a normal mustang clutch cable? And should I buy an act tuner used? or new from Lonnie with the tune?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/16/12 09:23 AM

Yes to the mustang clutch cable. I've heard horror stories about aftermarket ones, and emphasis that everyone should use a ford OEM cable... but I've had no problem with my aftermarket cable. Also, remember to lubricate it well.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/16/12 01:47 PM

I sure wish they sold a driveshaft spacer for our cars frown Did you guys use a normal mustang clutch cable? And should I buy an act tuner used? or new from Lonnie with the tune?

spacer were only made for the mustangs guys with smaller pinion flange.
I did mine out of another crown vic pinion flange by getting the center machined so it fits on the other pinion.

As far as the cable I have been using oem since they one and I would not use anything else either

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/17/12 10:24 AM

Ok ordered up a stock clutch cable and a pinion flang so I can do it your way. Never thought about doing it that way.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/17/12 10:41 AM

Ok ordered up a stock clutch cable and a pinion flang so I can do it your way. Never thought about doing it that way.

what trans are you using again?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/17/12 11:16 AM

heres some info abouth the spacer

it is made out of another crown vic pinion flange.
The ID was machined at 2.000 to fit over.

The two pinion flanged surface should be clean of any debrits to ensure flat,parallel surface to avoid any driveline vibrations.
I drilled 4 holes into the flange to be able to screw extented bolts from the drive shaft flange to the original pinion flange.
Grade 8 bolts recomended.

I have used this spacer on my 98 P71 With a steel civilian drive shaft during off road purposes

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/17/12 03:27 PM

T45. And thanks for the pics they should help out.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/23/12 08:06 AM

Clutch cable and pinion flange came yesterday. So I'll let you know how the spacer turns out. I'll take a picture.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/23/12 01:59 PM

Clutch cable and pinion flange came yesterday. So I'll let you know how the spacer turns out. I'll take a picture.

great smile

remember that you have to get the two contact surgace parallel otherwise you will have major problem.You can always get the surface machined so they patch perfectly

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/23/12 02:51 PM

Ok I'll have to see what the one on my car looks like. I never pulled it off. Hope I can just clean it maybe use some sand paper to clean the surface. Otherwise I'll have to pull it and put it on the lathe.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/23/12 02:54 PM

Ok I'll have to see what the one on my car looks like. I never pulled it off. Hope I can just clean it maybe use some sand paper to clean the surface. Otherwise I'll have to pull it and put it on the lathe.

the machinist will have to use soft jaw for this

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/25/12 11:49 PM

It looks great pier. I posted a pic on cvn group on Facebook. But that wasidway to being finished I forgot to take a pic of finished product I was anxious to put it on the car. But that was a great idea an worked well. Thanks a lot

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/25/12 11:49 PM

on that spacer, why doesnt it have the center index that locates the driveshaft on it?
is that a pressed in piece on the OEM flange that could be trasnfered to the spacer?
it really is an important part of the flange smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/26/12 12:52 AM

I wondered the same thing. Maybe I should have left it.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/26/12 06:14 AM

the machinist will use a bouring bar to keep the center index on it unlike what I did but fro what I did with since it was going on my off road race car I could not care less lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/27/12 06:56 PM

Just finished my latest batch of pedals laugh

so those of you that placed an order you will have a pm regarding the status .

Posted by: KayTar

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/27/12 11:00 PM

Awesome work yet again man!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/27/12 11:12 PM

Oh is that mine to the left with the bbk quadrant on it. smile looks so pretty Hahaha

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/28/12 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: KayTar
Awesome work yet again man!

thanks smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 03/28/12 06:04 AM

Oh is that mine to the left with the bbk quadrant on it. smile looks so pretty Hahaha

yep it,s yours laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/01/12 01:28 AM

I can't wait to get these

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/09/12 07:50 AM

Pedals should be here today smile super excited to get home and check them out. Possible put them in today. What fluids does every one run in there t-45? I'm new to the whole manual Trans so I have no idea. Thanks

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/09/12 08:16 AM

3.2 quarts of Dexron III / Mercon ATF.

I have Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF in my 3650.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/09/12 08:23 AM

Ok thanks nick. Hopefully I can Get the pedals in and fluid changed tonight. I'll pick the fluid up after work. And refresh my memory a bit on here about drilling the hole in the firewall.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/09/12 11:54 PM

Ok so I'm officially driving a manual crown Victoria. smile took it to the gas station just now. Almost killed it pulling out. Only go it up to third gear but loving it already. Pier those pedals worked out perfect. You are THE MAN!! Broke the micro switch putting them in. Lol but brake lights can wait till tomorrow. Now I can't wait for the tune. But everything feels good so I'm happy. I'll make a video tomorrow show you guys how she runs. And take a few pictures. Thanks everyone or the help.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:03 AM

Lol pics or it didn't happen wink

That's great to hear! Pier's pedals are certainly the best.

...So much for breaking that clutch in eh?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:08 AM

I have a crap video I'll post it to YouTube. Lol I'm cutting out the part of me almost killin it at the gas station though. :p

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:10 AM

No leave it in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(never thought I'd say that...) laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:21 AM

Ok so here it is. I cut the almost killing it part out. But don't be laughing at my driving skill. I've never drove stick. And don't mind the wind. I don't have the floor sealed and windows are down a bit. And lol at the end where I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing. Stop the car..... Think.... Shifter in neutral... Check.... Think a bit more... Check to make sure column shifter is in park even though it's inoperable. Yup still in park. Hahaha Its gonna take some getting use to. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWLdYryGCk took it off my phone so it's not the best and it's dark outside.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:23 AM

Most I've ever done to a car before this was oil changes spark plugs wires a that. This is the biggest project I've ever done by my self. Pretty happy just to drive it again.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 06:14 AM

Ok so I'm officially driving a manual crown Victoria. smile took it to the gas station just now. Almost killed it pulling out. Only go it up to third gear but loving it already. Pier those pedals worked out perfect. You are THE MAN!! Broke the micro switch putting them in. Lol but brake lights can wait till tomorrow. Now I can't wait for the tune. But everything feels good so I'm happy. I'll make a video tomorrow show you guys how she runs. And take a few pictures. Thanks everyone or the help.

wow man IM really glad for you.
You did it and I can tell that you will really enjoy driving a 5 speed manual crown vic
as for the micro switch i'll send you another one if you are not in a hurry

thanks for the nice comments regarding my work beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 08:06 AM

Don't use the e brake if it's never been used before. Lol damn thing locked up
On me this morning. And pier don't worry about the micro switch I'm sure I can find one like it that will work. Should have taken it off before trying to stuff the pedals up in there. I didn't take your advice and remove the steering colomn. My fault for not taking your advice. Think I need to adjust my cable a bit more too. so lunch break will consist of getting the e brake free and adjusting the cable a bit tighter.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 08:12 AM

Cool man that's awesome smile

I didn't take the column out either. It's really very easy to get the pedals up there if you take the quardrant off.

If you have any questions on wiring for a more complete install (Transmission range sensor, reverse lights, ect.) let me know. I'm compiling information to post on here but I may be able to help out in the meantime.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 08:40 AM

My pedals were not to easy to get in there. It was a bit tight. But it's in. And thanks nick I'll keep a close eye to your post. Watch for the wiring process. Transmission range sensor don't know what that is. Lol I'm a noob. And reverse lights? I didn't have them before the swap so I'm not to worried about them. But I'd still like to see how everything get wired up correct. So that it only starts with clutch depressed and stuff.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 09:29 AM

The Transmission range sensor, or MLPS, is a sensor on the shaft of the shift lever on the automatic transmission. It contains the neutral safety switch, which will only let the car start in park or neutral.

The standard cars use a CSS, or clutch safety switch on the clutch pedal, requiring you to depress the clutch pedal or else the car won't start.
W/PK wire from ignition switch goes to one side of the clutch pedal, the other side of the clutch pedal is a R/LB wire that goes to the starter solenoid. Usually these two wires are inside the automatic trans harness and MLPS.

The automatic trans harness may contain O2 sensor wiring, but you can remove the harness and diet it down, removing any circuits that you don't need.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:30 AM

Yup :)^^^

He helped me with mine... Thanks again

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:50 AM

Ok so now my clutch or flywheel is making a noise when I release it. Even in neutral I just let the clutch out and the car will die. Thinking I F'ed up somewhere. I'll post a video link. It's not killing the car now but it did before.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:52 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TBShPEpbLOM from the sounds of it Im thinking I'll be dropping the Trans again.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:55 AM

Sounds like the throwout bearing is toast... Don't tell me you installed a used one?

I don't know I'm stumped. In nuetral why when I release the clutch would it die? Something must be wrong with Trans maybe.

You can't rush these kinda projects. Relax. You'll get it fixed smile

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:56 AM

No it's new.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:56 AM

Have you been beating the crap out of it? Lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 10:57 AM

You might have installed it wrong on the clutch fork and it popped out of position.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 11:00 AM

No I didn't beat on it I just put it in. Taking it easy till I know it's all right.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 11:04 AM

I did reuse the old fork could that be a problem?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 11:20 AM

Still doesn't explain why it died when I released the clutch in nuetral though. ? Any advice is much appreciated.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:03 PM

Was going great Yesterday and this morning. Seemed like very thing was working just fine.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 12:55 PM

Do you still have all the gears? Does the car try to lurch forward when you release the clutch in netrual?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 01:08 PM

Ok I'm on lunch break right now. But I'm in the car. It was shifting fine. And no lunging forward in neutral? The thing don't sound good though.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 02:05 PM

I'll just have to jack it up after work start tearing it apart I just hope
It's nothing wrong with the Trans. It seem to be going just fine. Till the ebrake stuck on me. I'll let you know what I come up with later on tonight. Hopefully just fork and ball was bad and I didn't notice or something not fastened down right.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 02:38 PM

that is weird never heard that before.
At first I thought you were talking abouth the plate that is betewen the block and trans that was rubbing on the flywheel.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 04:47 PM

Ok so the sound isn't there while driving with foot on the gas. as soon as I let off it comes back.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 05:01 PM

I bet that transmission is wasted... I have my fingers crossed

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 06:50 PM

Don't think it was my ebrake sticking its my front break sticking after they get hot must be from sitting for so long. The pistons aren't releasing or something. Grease the pins and compress them? Try them Again maybe? Lol problem after problem. Well once I can get it back in the garage I'll let you guys know what I comeup with. Hope the Trans is ok.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 08:30 PM

Thinking maybe it's the pedals not coming up far enough. And the pads are rubbing. I just tried to get it home every brake is hot and smoking a little. I'm not sure but that's what I'm thinking.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 08:31 PM

Not positive but I don't see all four brakes locking up at the same time.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 09:02 PM

Your brakes have nothing to do with that noise you posted a video of.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 09:15 PM

Yes but the brakes were keeping me from getting the car home. Lol I disconnected them got it on the garage now. I'll take a look in the morning. But something is wrong there. Pedals are pressing just enough on the push rod to make them rub and burn till the point if I press the clutch in the car slows down. As for the noise I'm going to have to pull the Trans. I'm just happy it's home now. I can actually pull it apart.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/10/12 09:18 PM

Brakes I can prolly grind a bit more of a cut in the assembly to let them sit higher. Or relocate the shaft on the pedal assembly it self. All can wait till tomorrow. I'm done for tonight. Maybe jack it up take a peak that's about it. I'm beat and it's dinner time.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 05:51 AM

Thinking maybe it's the pedals not coming up far enough. And the pads are rubbing. I just tried to get it home every brake is hot and smoking a little. I'm not sure but that's what I'm thinking.

What do you mean by pedal is rubbing?

how is the the tension on the cable?
how far can you push the pedal once the clutch is disengaged?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 06:35 AM

I think the brake pedal isn't coming up far enough. And holding a little pressure on the brakes. After driving for a minute the brakes get hot. The clutch is working fine. there it feels all good. Like I said I'll take a look today after work. But I pulled the brake shaft off the pedal asembly and the brakes did not lock up. I'll get it All worked out. Just going to take a bit of time that's all.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 09:50 AM

Does the rod pull out of the brake cylinder? Can I maybe shorten it a bit? Or buy an adjustable push rod. Thanks guys

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 10:28 AM

Sounds like something wasn't put together right. Mine is fine and Pier made my pedals too.

Did you put that plastic spacer back in behind the pedals?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 10:53 AM

Nick you my friend are a savior. I don't remember the spacer so maybe it was attached to the pedals. But I see a pic of your with the pedals out and clearly see the spacer. Could be in the garage some where or maybe it's still stuck to the assembly. Thanks a lot nick. That's got to be my brake problem. Either find the spacer or junk yard one if I can't find the one off my car. I'm going to drop the Trans after work check that whole thing out see what I [censored] up or what I did wrong at least.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 01:35 PM

heres the spacer in question
if you lost it let me know I have tons of them i,ll send you one

this way
the left side facing the firewall and right side the pedal

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 01:49 PM

Unless I sent it to you. It has to be in the garage somewhere. I hope smile I get off work at 3:00 so I'll look around. Thanks for the picture pier.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 01:56 PM

That's [censored] funny lol at least you got it figured out.

Must have been excited to put it together eh?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 02:09 PM

Unless I sent it to you. It has to be in the garage somewhere. I hope smile I get off work at 3:00 so I'll look around. Thanks for the picture pier.

no problem smile

I dont remember receving any spacer but as i said if you need one i'll send you one free of charge as I have tons of them

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 02:31 PM

I was too excited I guess smile [censored] well that's one problem down lets hope I didn't fark up the Trans now. More I read. it sound like input shaft bearing. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She was going so good, no sounds,shifting good. Damn spacer! Should have taken my time and a mental note of that spacer before putting it back together.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 02:38 PM

Not knowing how to drive stick shift very good. And having no brakes made for a very fun ride home though. Lol.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 02:40 PM

Luckily no cars or cops on the way home. Lol

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 05:12 PM

Well just disconnected the clutch cable. No more rattle in the Trans. So it's something to do with the fork or bearing. Bearing is new. I read online your supposed to grease the fork where it snap to the ball on the Trans and where it connects to the bearing. Im guessing that's my problem I never grease them. Someone said with no grease an the cable tension not tight enough the fork will start to dance on the bearing an ball. Maybe after I drive around the cable tension loosened up a bit. There for cause my fork to rattle. Or can a fork be bad? -larry

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 05:16 PM

So happy it's not the input shaft.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 05:25 PM

Pier if you could send me the spacer that would be great. Maybe a micro switch too(maybe I can keep this micro in one piece lol). If you need $ let me know. Don't let my mess up cost you. Thanks a lot man. I must have lost my spacer some time during the swap. I can't seem to find that thing anywhere. I'm looking everywhere just don't see it.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/11/12 06:17 PM

Pier if you could send me the spacer that would be great. Maybe a micro switch too(maybe I can keep this micro in one piece lol). If you need $ let me know. Don't let my mess up cost you. Thanks a lot man. I must have lost my spacer some time during the swap. I can't seem to find that thing anywhere. I'm looking everywhere just don't see it.

I will take care of you ¸

you got a pm smile
Posted by: BigMerc96

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/12/12 10:54 AM

All I have to say at this point in this thread is this: Pier, you da man!

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/12/12 11:02 AM

Indeed

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/12/12 01:26 PM

lol thanks guys beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 04/12/12 04:05 PM

spacer and micro switch on it,s way

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/12/12 10:10 PM

Where to order a new or rebuilt tr3650 any recommendations??? Best warenty and prices???

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/12/12 10:19 PM

And does anyone know if the hole in my floor will still match with a tr3650 vs the t45 I had in there? I don't know the demension.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 09:57 AM

Seller "Mantrans" on eBay. They have new 3650's for around $800

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 09:58 AM

The hole should be the same.

I've seen T45 mustang guys upgrade and they don't trim the floor.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 10:31 AM

Are you referring to this rebuilt unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-04-MUSTANG-4-...ies&vxp=mtr

Also, for those that did this swap, is there an actual breakdown of parts that are required for this swap? I am pretty much lost when it comes to working on 5 speeds.

What all would you need to put one of these in a car?

The obvious parts are self explanatory. Tranny, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, shifter. What about all the small bits and pieces?

I am seriously contemplating shelving my auto rebuild and going with 5 speed.

If you use TR3650 slip yoke, do you still need a spacer?

As far as the pedals go, I know the clutch pedal has to be longer than the brake due to the fuse box. Is it possible to extend the brake pedal to make it the same length or would it be too long and hit the floor board?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 11:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BigNSlow

Are you referring to this rebuilt unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-04-MUSTANG-4-...ies&vxp=mtr

Also, for those that did this swap, is there an actual breakdown of parts that are required for this swap? I am pretty much lost when it comes to working on 5 speeds.

The obvious parts are self explanatory. Tranny, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, shifter. What about all the small bits and pieces?

I am seriously contemplating shelving my auto rebuild and going with 5 speed.

As far as the pedals go, I know the clutch pedal has to be longer than the brake due to the fuse box. Is it possible to extend the brake pedal to make it the same length or would it be too long and hit the floor board?

Yes that is the seller I am referring to. I know of a few people who have bought transmissions from them and they have all been great.

As far as a parts breakdown is concerned I do have every part I used written down complete with part numbers and such. If your interested I will post it later today for you. I've also compiled all the wiring information associated with the swap.

If you use a TR3650 and the correct 31 spline slip yoke with an aluminum or MMX driveshaft you will not need to use a spacer of any sorts.

As far as the pedals are concerned Pier will have to answer that. I am not sure.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 02:44 PM

I do have a list of parts with ford part numbers in my 5 speed write up but It might now be as complete as Nick,s list as mine dates from few year back.

As for the pedal serge The lenght difference is really not noticeable whe nyou drive.
The position of the pedal is a compromise.
If it,s too long it will toutch the floor board before the clutch disengage. and if it,s too short the effort to press the clutch will be anything but easy.
I bought my first trans of manstrans and blew it doing stupid burnouts.
Go see my sticky in the hi po section regarding which trans would be the best.

drive shaft spacer is needed when using t-45 only.
is this for the 03 or the merk serge?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 02:50 PM

It's for the Merk.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 03:33 PM

It's for the Merk.

you will need something bullet proof to match the numbers you are pushing

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 03:42 PM

I agree. Consider a TKO.

I know a lot of people don't like them because they shift rougher than a lesser gearbox but they can hold the power with ease.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 03:45 PM

It's for the Merk.

you will need something bullet proof to match the numbers you are pushing

TR3650 won't handle it?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 03:46 PM

I agree. Consider a TKO.

I know a lot of people don't like them because they shift rougher than a lesser gearbox but they can hold the power with ease.

any tr3650 with a upgraded 26 spline imput shaft will do as good as the TKO.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 05:17 PM

What's wrong with the ten spline input shaft pier? Why is this such a big deal?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 05:25 PM

What's wrong with the ten spline input shaft pier? Why is this such a big deal?

It,s alright for stock or mild application.
In fact if you dont do any drag racing you might get away with it but it all depends the way you drive the car and what gears you run in the diff.

10 spline imput shaft can twist during hard launch with slicks and I consider myself lucky with my last session at the drag because I have been dumping the clutch few times in the 5k rpms. wh 26 spline can take more abuse in this situation

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 05:44 PM

Even with the T56, I'll have the stock 10-spline input shaft. When it breaks (and it will), I go T56 Magnum

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 05:54 PM

Even with the T56, I'll have the stock 10-spline input shaft. When it breaks (and it will), I go T56 Magnum

they have stop making t-56 with 10 spline too

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 05:57 PM

See, my car is more of a hot street, very occasional strip car.

Even with the work I have done I think I'll be fine because I don't run slicks on the street and I won't be getting anywhere near enough traction off the line to twist the input shaft. It'll be spin-city laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 06:03 PM

See, my car is more of a hot street, very occasional strip car.

Even with the work I have done I think I'll be fine because I don't run slicks on the street and I won't be getting anywhere near enough traction off the line to twist the input shaft. It'll be spin-city laugh

oh yeah you will never have any problem with this.
IT's some launch like this that twist imput shaft after a while

Posted by: pantera77

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 06:21 PM

That's why I'm glad I have such crappy tires out back. That way my poor little weak t5 won't explode laugh

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 06:24 PM

How hard is that shaft to swap out? Gotta take the whole tranny apart I take? Were there any TR3650s with 26 spline shaft?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 06:31 PM

How hard is that shaft to swap out? Gotta take the whole tranny apart I take? Were there any TR3650s with 26 spline shaft?

I'm paying to get it done localy.
The same guy from who I bought leadfoot's transmission for his car will swap the imput shaft for me it,s a 700$ option in my case because I didnt order my trans like that at first but anyone that gets a trasmission like that can order it with that option and pay 400$/500$ at max for a 26 spline shaft

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/13/12 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: pantera77
That's why I'm glad I have such crappy tires out back. That way my poor little weak t5 won't explode laugh

yeah tires act like a fuse but when you want to drag race it,s another story.
the t-5 in the 89 with a 351 did rather well but I never drag raced the car

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/14/12 07:32 AM

In my t45 my first gear was really short. How is it with the tr3650 I'd think about the same right. If so is there anyway they can like change a gear or something make it a bit longer? Or do you just have to get used to it.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/14/12 11:10 AM

I'd add universal joints to the parts list, since you have to swap out the slip yoke anyway. Also, you might have to replace the auto-trans block plate with a manual-trans one... or trim the auto-trans one for clearance around the flywheel. Some people have clearance problems and some don't.

You'll need to make some modifications to the crossmember to move the transmission mount back. I did this by drilling new holes in the ends of the crossmember to move the whole thing back about 1", or it could be done by elongating holes at the center to move just the mount. Either way, it ends up being a fairly simple change.

I assume you'll need a speedcal to convert the OSS signal for your PCM. If so, here's the info: Install Instructions Calculator Note that you will need the 'extended range' speedcal, but that seems to be the only one that people sell anymore.

For my swap, those issues were the only things that came as any surprise. Everything else stuck to Peir's descriptions.

I didn't use the driveshaft spacer, and haven't had any driveline vibrations or other problems. I expect that on a higher horsepower car with lots of traction every bit of engagement length of the slip yoke would be critical, but if Peir hasn't had a problem with his high-rpm launches... I think we're all safe to go without the spacer.
Posted by: crownvic98pi

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/15/12 06:15 PM

Pier ,what tire (brand / size ) do you run ,im amazed how it hook

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 03:47 PM

Pier quick question. How do I wire up this micro switch for my brake lights.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 07:13 PM

Pier quick question. How do I wire up this micro switch for my brake lights.

you have to cut the wire from the original brake light switch and match the color with the wires that I suplyed you.
I send you green and orange wire.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 07:24 PM

Ok and the micro switch has three connections I only use two?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 09:50 PM

Ok and the micro switch has three connections I only use two?

yes exactly the top and bottom one IIRC

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 10:19 PM

This thread is really cool.

I know the output shafts are the weak link even in the Cobra T-56. It's one of the first mods they do. A 3650 is definitely stronger than a T-45, but don't forget most transmissions can be built to be bulletproof, depending on your budget lol.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 10:48 PM

Can't seem to get them to work. Do you have a picture of yours that maybe I can see.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/17/12 10:52 PM

There Is four wires down there. 3 green 1 orange. 1green and 1 orange run to the same harness. These are the brake wires I think? Maybe I'm wrong.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/18/12 12:01 AM

This is the stock brake light switch.

You want the two wires from that plug. Cut the connector off and run them to the switch Pier sent you.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/18/12 05:34 AM

There Is four wires down there. 3 green 1 orange. 1green and 1 orange run to the same harness. These are the brake wires I think? Maybe I'm wrong.

the abs and brake light are on the same harness but as nick mentioned it,s the two wires comming from the lower switch

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/18/12 08:59 AM

Pier, for the record. I don't mean to step on your toes. It's your thread beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/18/12 07:06 PM

Pier, for the record. I don't mean to step on your toes. It's your thread beer1

Geez man It is not my thread so you or anyone that has the answer can post it wink

no worries at all abouth it beer1

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/21/12 01:54 PM

Brake lights are good smile will me speed-o be right with the tr3650? With the t45 I think it was correct. If they are different can I just swap the plastic speed o sensor or plug thing. Or is it the gear inside the Trans that is different.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/21/12 03:21 PM

The TR 3650 doesn't have a speedo gear; it uses only the OSS sensor. The signal from the OSS sensor will make your speedometer read waaay high if you connect it directly. To convert/adjust the signal as needed, you'll need a Speedcal from (among other sources) Blue Oval Chips.

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/22/12 07:06 AM

Crap. Another $100 bucks. Lol looks like ill be driving with no speedo for a week.
Posted by: crownvic98pi

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/22/12 07:33 AM

Pier ,on my 05 since i dont have a speedo gear on mine , do i still need a speedcal ?

Re: The official manual transmission swap - 05/22/12 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: crownvic98pi
Pier ,on my 05 since i dont have a speedo gear on mine , do i still need a speedcal ?

nope the tune will take care of that